WISELI: Promoting Participation and Advancement
of Women in Science and Engineering
Caitlin Pepperell studies antibiotic resistance in tuberculosis bacteria
Caitlin Pepperell, Professor of Medicine and Medical Microbiology and Immunology, published findings in PLoS Pathogens exploring the diversity of tuberculosis bacteria within individual patients in order to understand how the pathogen becomes resistant to antibiotics. Read more here.
Monica Turner's research improves water quality and supply
Publishing her findings in the journal Ecosphere with her colleague Jiangxiao Qiu, the Eugene P. Odum Professor of Ecology and Vilas Research Professor of Zoology Monica Turner show that adjusting the landscape composition may be most effective for enhancing surface water quality. Read more here.
Kathleen Shannon named Chair of Neurology
Kathleen Shannon, MD, currently a Professor of Neurology at Rush Medical College, will become the new chair of the Neurology Department in the UW School of Medicine and Public Health. Her appointment will being on July 1, 2016. Read more here.
Vaishali Bakshi studies stress chemicals causing PTSD
Associate Professor of Psychiatry Vaishali Bakshi and colleagues published a new study showing how stress chemicals reshape the brains of rodents, research that could lead to better treatments for people with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Read more here.
Sana Salah discovers fertility-protecting drug
Assistant Profesor of Obstetrics and Gynecology Sana Salah and her research team have shown that a heart medication can prevent ovarian damage and improve survival in adolescent mice after chemotherapy. Read more here.
Anna Huttenlocher elected to National Academy of Medicine
Professor of Pediatrics Anna Huttenlocher, a practicing pediatric rheumatologist, is recognized internationally for her pioneering studies of cell migration and alterations of cell migration in human diseases. She was elected to the National Academy of Medicine to provide expert scientific advice to the nation that will help shape policies, inform public opinion and advance the pursuit of science, engineering and medicine. Read more here.
- Searching for Excellence & Diversity: Workshops for Search Committees
- The schedule for WISELI's workshops for faculty search committees is now available. To view the schedule and register for the workshops, please click here.
December 2, 2015
- 3-Minute Thesis Competition
- Three Minute Thesis is an international competition in which doctoral students hone essential career skills and practice communicating to a general audience. Please join us to hear UW-Madison graduate students convey the essence of their research in just three minutes during this friendly competition.
- 1:00pm — 3:00pm, Reception to Follow
- H.F. DeLuca Forum, Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery Building
- No rgistration required; all are welcome! See flyer for more information.
December 9, 2015
- Women & Leadership Series: Coffee and Conversations
- The UW-Madison AAU Campus Climate Survey: A discussion of the report and exploration of solutions
- 8:30am — 10:00am
- Union South
- Registration Required.