WISELI: Promoting Participation and Advancement
of Women in Science and Engineering
Janet Hyde published meta-analysis on gender differences in depression
Professor of Psychology Janet Hyde found that the gender gap in rates of depression between men and women begin as early as age 12, with girls/women experiencing depression at twice the rate of men. Read more here.
Karen Oberhauser named new Arboretum director
Jeanette Roberts leads new Center
After stepping down as Dean of the School of Pharmacy and completing a Robert Wood Johnson Foundation health policy fellowship, Jeanette Roberts, PhD, MPH, is taking on a new role as director of the Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education (CIPE) which will promote greater collaboration and communication between medicine, nursing, and pharmacy. Read more here.
Marsha Mailick investigates interaction of genes and stress
Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education and professor of Social Work Marsha Mailick recently published a study investigating how the interaction of genetics, and high-stress situations (specifically, parenting a special-needs child) may influence health outcomes in later life. Read more here.
Laura Hernandez explores milk production in cows and humans
Melissa Skala wins Stand Up to Cancer grant
Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering and Morgridge Institute researcher Melissa Skala produced a winning proposal aimed at undermining the metabolism of cancer cells. Read more on this unique award here.
Eve Fine receives WAA Award for Excellence in Leadership at the College, School or Larger University Community Level
WISELI's Director of Curriculum Design and Implementation Eve Fine received the award to recognize her work educating faculty hiring committees about bias, and department chairs about climate. Read more here.
Ahna Skop launches STEM Diversity Network
Associate Professor of Genetics Ahna Skop created the network network with two undergraduate interns to promote the recruitment, retention and success of diverse university members studying and working in STEM fields. Access the network here. To learn more, click here.
April 20, 2017
- National Diversity Council Women in Leadership Symposium
- An outreach and professional development event designed to share experiences on the journey to success as a women in today's world.
- 8:00am - Noon
- East Atrium and Plenary Room, Grainger Hall
- Registration is required for this symposium.
April 25, 2017
- Environmental Justice, Renewable Energy, and the Future of Our Planet
- Featuring keynote speaker Sandra Begay, Sandia National Laboratories
- 4:00 - 5:30pm
- Symphony Room, Gordon Commons
- Attendance is limited. Please register here!
April 25, 2017
- UW-IT Connects Leadership Breakfast
- A conversation on leadership and life with Dean Soyeon Shim
- 8:00am Registration & Coffee/8:30am Program/9:30am Networking
- Union South/TITU
- Registration is required for this program.