WISELI in the News
- S.T.E.M., Girl Scouts Introduce More Girls to Science Career Fields. WISC-TV. Aired December 6, 2015.
- UW Video Game Developed to Uncover Unconscious Racial Biases. Gerald Porter. The Badger Herald. October 6, 2015.
- Second Opinions: Gender Bias in Academic and Medical Research. PediatricsNationwide.org Newsletter. Fall/Winter 2015.
- Bias in Hiring. Emily Auerbach. University of the Air, Wisconsin Public Radio. Madison, WI. September 20, 2015.
- Faculty of Color Face Unique Challenges at Mostly-White UW. Anne Blackbourne. The Badger Herald. September 8, 2015.
- The LEAD Center Helps Faculty Improve Productivity. Wisconsin Center for Education Research Feature Stories. March 9, 2015.
- Feature Articles: The Effect of an Intervention to Break the Gender Bias Habit for Faculty at One Institution: A Cluster Randomized, Controlled Trial. NIH Updates on Women in Science Newsletter. Volume 8, Issue 1, January 2015.
- "Klawe Determined to Boost Women in Computer Science.” Women in Higher Education. Page 6. December 2014.
- STEM Majors on the Rise at UW in Previous Decade. Gabrielle Dibenedetto. The Badger Herald. October 31, 2014.
- Report, Experts Analyze Surging STEM Activity at UW-Madison. David Tenenbaum. nside UW-Madison. October 30, 2014.
- Microsoft CEO Critic Maria Klawe to Speak at UW-Madison. Bill Novak. Madison.com. October 16, 2014.
- Newsmaker Who Called Out Microsoft President to Speak at UW-Madison. David Tenenbaum. Inside UW-Madison. October 16, 2014.
- Ethnic Diversity in Materials Science and Engineering: A Report on the Workshop on Ethnic Diversity in Materials Science and Engineering, December 9-11, 2012. October 2014.
- Women Faculty Positions Edge Up. Chemical & Engineering News. 91(14): 41-44. April 7, 2014.
- Action Project: Survey Exposes Minority Faculty Dissatisfaction. Conor Murphy. The Daily Cardinal. February 24, 2014.
- NIH Responds to Racial Disparity in Minority Grant Numbers. Chronicle of Higher Education. January 13, 2014.
- Faculty climate survey shows most satisfied but room for improvement. University of Wisconsin-Madison Communications. November 14, 2013.
- Unwelcome: UW-Madison has work to do in building a comfortable workplace for minority faculty. Pat Schneider. The Capital Times. November 13, 2013.
- UW-Madison Researchers Put NIH Grant Review Process Under Microscope.” University of Wisconsin-Madison Communications. October 1, 2013.
- Women Constitute Higher Percentage of Faculty at UW-Madison Than in Past Years. Meghan Chua. The Daily Cardinal. September 26, 2012.
- Women Play Larger Role in Science at UW. Jane Milne. The Badger Herald. September 26, 2012.
- Studies Point to Rising Role for Women Scientists at UW-Madison. David Tenenbaum, Inside UW-Madison. September 25, 2012.
- "Women in Science and Engineering/Truth Values.” Tonya Brito. A Public Affair, WORT 89.9FM Community Radio Station. September 19, 2012.
- Human Resources Project Aims to Increase Diversity Among UW Faculty and Staff. Allie Johnson. The Badger Herald. April 29, 2012.
- Having a Successful Academic Career as a Woman in Science: Q&A with Jennifer Sheridan. Science Glass Ceiling: Women in science, rendering the XX visible blog. Posted April 12, 2012.
- "Teaching the Societal Side of Engineering.” Perspective for Alumni and Friends of the UW-Madison College of Engineering. September 29, 2011.
- “Video Games Going Viral: Educational Research Lab Turns Serious Science Into High-Tech Fun.” Ron Seely. Wisconsin State Journal. Pp. A1,A8-A9. September 18, 2011.
- “NIH Director’s ARRA-Funded Pathfinder Award Promotes Diversity in the Scientific Workforce.” Melissa McCartney. Association for Women in Science (AWIS) Magazine. 42(3): 17-19. Summer 2011.
- Plain Talk: Successful Kids Program Needs Help. Dave Zweifel. The Capital Times. November 24, 2010.
- “Reducing the Impact of Negative Stereotypes on the Careers of Minority and Women Scientists.” Daisy Grewal. Science Careers. October 26, 2010.
- Men, Women Have Equal Math Skills. Katie Slavin. The Badger Herald. October 13, 2010.
- “$2 Million Grant to Develop Game That Breaks Bias Against Women In Sciences.” Simon Parkin. Gamasutra. October 13, 2010.
- “UW Researcher Gets Grant to Study Faculty Bias.” Anna Assendorf. The Badger Herald. October 11, 2010.
- “Major Grant Aims at Breaking the Habit of Implicit Bias.” University of Wisconsin-Madison Communications. October 11, 2010.
- “Barriers to Women’s Advancement in the Sciences.” Blog entry for the Institute for Women’s Health Research at Northwestern University. July 19, 2010.
- “Making Visible the Invisible.” Focus Newsletter. Burroughs Wellcome Fund. July, 2010.
- “Strengthening Scientific Leadership for the Future.” UMOJA Magazine. March, 2010.
- “How Dishwashing Works Against Tenure.” The Chronicle of Higher Education. January 20, 2010.
- “Time Crunch for Female Scientists: They Do More Housework Than Men.” The Chronicle of Higher Education. January 19, 2010.
- “Dr. Molly Carnes: Helping Women Advance in Science and Medicine.” Kathryn Kingsbury. Wisconsin Woman Magazine. January 2010: 6-8.
- "Take Steps to Reduce Unconscious Bias in Hiring." Women in Higher Education Newsletter. December 2009.
- Expanding Your Horizons to Influence Youths. Anna Asendorf. The Badger Herald. November 6, 2009.
- “The Flexibility Stigma.” BRAVA Magazine. November 2009.
- “Chairs Can Encourage Faculty to Use Flexible Policies.” Women in Higher Education Newsletter. November, 2009.
- “Wisconsin Girls Collaborative Project 2009-10 STEM Collaboration Grants.” Bronze Sponsor. Wausau, WI. October 10, 2009.
- "Evaluating Non-Profits." Radio Interview, In Business Magazine radio program. July 29, 2009.
- “Academic Climate Change for Women in Science at University of Wisconsin-Madison.” Laura L. Mays Hoopes. Association for Women in Science (AWIS) Magazine. 40(3): 12-13. Summer 2009.
- “Female Airmen Underrepresented in Tech Field.” Air Force News. March 8, 2009.
- “WVU Panel Urged to Consider Women, Minorities in Presidential Search.” Charleston Daily Mail. October 27, 2008.
- Women Not Yet to the ‘IX’s. Cassie Kornblau. The Badger Herald. September 18, 2008.
- “Researcher Finds that Women are Speaking Up.” University of Wisconsin Communications. July 31, 2008.
- “Engineering at Illinois Leads Campus Gender Equity Effort.” Engineering at Illinois News. June 26, 2008.
- Teaching Without Tenure at UW: Instructors are Often Academic Staff and Not Tenured or Tenure-Track Faculty Members. Heather LaRoi. Madison.com. April 6, 2008.
- “When Life Intervenes, One University Steps Up to Help.” Bernice Durand. CSWP Gazette. 27(1): 1,10. Spring, 2008.
- “Ask the Physics Mentor.” Bernice Durand. CSWP Gazette. 27(1): 12. Spring, 2008.
- “Focus on Careers: Women in Science—Nurturing Women Scientists.” Jill U. Adams. Science. 319(5864): 831–836. February 8, 2008.
- Professors Receive Philanthropy Award. Becky Vevea. The Badger Herald. November 12, 2007.
- “Help Women Stay in Science: A Female Scientist Gives Her Top 10 List of Tips for Her Male Colleagues—What Are Yours?” The Scientist.com. September 27, 2007.
- “Looking Through the Glass Ceiling of Science: Women in Science and Engineering Continue to Struggle for Equality.” The McGill Daily. March 13, 2006.
- “WISELI Survey to Analyze Quality of Worklife for UW-Madison Faculty.” Wisconsin Week. January 17, 2006.
- “The Gender Gap in Science is Shrinking at Universities.” St. Louis Post-Dispatch. October 23, 2005.
- Bias Towards Women Scientists. Anne Christensen. he Daily Cardinal. October 11, 2005.
- “Women in Science: Climbing the Career Ladder.” Talk of the Nation, National Public Radio. August 26, 2005.
- “Women Still Face Bias in Science.” Financial Times. August 19, 2005.
- “A Woman’s Place in the Lab: Harvard Studies Efforts to Boost Female Faculty at U-Wisconsin.” The Boston Globe. May 1, 2005.
- “For Women in Sciences, Slow Progress in Academia.” The New York Times. April 15, 2005.
- “Gender, Attitude, Aptitude and UW: In the Wake of the Harvard President’s Comments, UW Women Take a Look at Their Own Campus.” Wisconsin State Journal. March 27, 2005.
- “Women in Medicine Said to Face Widespread Bias.” Richmond Times Dispatch. March 6, 2005.
- “Working for Women.” Wisconsin State Journal. May 23, 2004.
- Women in Science Film Series Premieres Today. Beth Hoenisch. The Daily Cardinal. March 1, 2004.
- “NSF Program Working to Help Women Attain Leadership in Science and Engineering.” UW-Madison College of Engineering Perspective. Spring 2004.
- “Documentary Depicts Women in Science.” Wisconsin Week. February 24, 2004.
- “Valian Speaks Out About Gender Inequality.” The Daily Cardinal. October 6, 2003.
- Girls With Gluesticks. Laci Jones. The Daily Cardinal. April 30, 2002.
- “Institute Plans Effort to Boost Women in Science.” Wisconsin Week. March 26, 2002.
- “Women in Science Get a Major Boost From NSF, UW-Madison.” Wisconsin Week. October 19, 2001.