WISELI's Library includes over 1300 citations to books and articles relevant to the advancement and promotion of women in science and engineering.
These citations are available via the UW-Madison's RefShare Database. Information on this database, its features, and how to use it are provided below.
View or search ALL REFERENCES in WISELI's Library
Please see below for information and instructions on using the library database.
|Advice for Women in Academia||Balancing Family and Work|
|Campus/Department Climate||Search Committee Workshops and Hiring Process|
|Research on Bias||Studies of Sex Differences|
|Sexual Harrassment||Women in Higher Education|
|Women in Science and Engineering||Women Students in Science and Engineering|
|Women in Medicine||Women and Leadership|
|Race and Ethnicity in Academia||Organizational/Institutional Change|
|Tenure||Lab Management (coming soon)|
|Surveys (coming soon)||History of Women in Science, Medicine, and Engineering (coming soon)|
- Reviewing Applicants: Research on Bias and Assumptions
- Enhancing Department Climate: A Guide for Department Chairs
This database has the following useful features:
- It is continuously updated
- It includes WorldCat's "Find in a library" button to enable users to find full text versions of articles/ebooks in their own library's collections
- It has a powerful search engine
- There are several options for viewing and sorting references
- Bibliographies can be created in a variety of formats
- References can be exported
There are several options for viewing references. Use the "Switch to view" box to see references as:
- Standard view — displays Title, Authors, Publication information, and "Find in a library" button
- One line/Cite view — displays Author, Date, Title on one line
- Full view — displays full bibliographical information including abstracts and notes, when available, and the "Find in a library button"
Use the "Sort by" box located near the upper righthand corner of the screen to sort references by author, title, publication date, and other attributes
Searching for References
The RefShare database includes two search options:
- Advanced Search options: The "Search" menu in the upper lefthand corner provides the following options:
- Advanced — allows for Boolean searches (using "and", "or", and "not") across multiple fields
- Search by Descriptor — provides a searchable list of keywords(descriptors) used in the database and links to entries including a selected descriptor
- Search by Periodical — provides a searchable list of periodical included in the database and links to articles in a selected periodical
- Quick Search: Search terms entered in the "Search RefShare" box in the upper righthand corner of the screen will initiate a broad search of all database fields. By default, all search terms entered are connected by the Boolean connector "or".
Creating Bibliographies and Exporting Reference
To create a bibliography or export references into other citation managers:
- Mark the small box to the left of each references you want to include
- Click "Create Bibliography" or "Export" in the box located near the upper lefthand corner of the screen
- Select the appropriate format
- Click "Create Bibliography: or "Export"
The RefShare User Manual and an introductory tutorial are available under RefShare's "Help" menu.